Core engineering subjects, especially Mechanical and Civil, would have greater placements opportunities than Information Technology and Computer Science, said Jayaprakash Gandhi, Career Consultant in Career Guidance Programme organised in Trichy. The rationale is since software companies go for mass recruitments across branches, students of core engineering subject will have an edge over their computer and IT counterparts, when they seek jobs in engineering companies.
Other Salient points from his speech.
- The recruitment from aeronautical and biotechnology branches are stagnant for a long period of time.
- Multidisciplinary courses like aeronautical and biotechnology will fetch jobs only with postgraduate degrees.
- B. Tech. in Agriculture Information and Technology promises tremendous opportunities.
- The emerging fields other than engineering subjects were
- Geo Informatics,
- Material Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Engineering,
- Electro Chemical,
- Petroleum Refining,
- Petro Chemical,
- Metallurgy and
- Bio Medical Sciences
Source: The Hindu